I realised on my very quick trip to Copenhagen this week that I have become a multi-nation friend ambassador. Since moving to the UK, my friendship circle has grown a lot and with so many different cultures and backgrounds and interests. And I have no doubt that I am a better person as a result. My mind has broadened, my heart has opened even wider than when it was in SA (and I did not think this was possible) and there is so much hope and faith that comes from sharing friendship moments with new people.
I like to think I had a fairly diverse group of friends in Jozi...and I do...but when you live in a cultural melting pot like London you begin to realise how much additional diversity comes from different nationalities. If you had said to me two years ago that one of my sweetest, much loved friends would come from Macedonia, I would have said..."where is Macedonia?' In fairness, I might still have to check on the map. But now my Slavica friend is firmly ensconced in this mad African's life and it is wonderful! She and I have nephew's in common - so there is much Aunty talk! A beautiful blonde bombshell is Miss S - queen of shopping and with a wardrobe to rival the Queen's too!
We like to clown around together!
My other friend, the supermodel from Hungary, Miss E. Now she and I have interacted over the last few years on work...but being in the same neck of the woods (well Europe is a neck of the woods!) has meant we have connected more closely, had fun and laughed and laughed and danced and laughed in the last 18 months! She is always composed and together - no matter the stress of the situation - I am in awe of her.
I love you my two new foreign friends - you are a delight in my life!
And then there is Charlie Brown - who rocks his bowtie at all the events - and makes me laugh so much with his antics - thank you for the smiles this year and for the amazing level headedness you show, Charlie Pops x
And my final set of new Foreign Nation friends is these two naughties! Mr Kildoo and Ms Fernando...otherwise known in my life as Mr Kil(ler)-doo and Manda-Fernanda!
I think we could start a band - what you think peeps???
Mr Killer-doo is a pseudo American/Hungarian/Danish export - and one of the most bilingual people I know! He makes me laugh in copious amounts and is my resident techie-expert...there is no new gadget that escapes his keen and eager eye! And as for Manda-Fernanda (Panda...is that too much to add maybe? :)) - well now. She is a petite as they come...she even stands on her tippy-toes for photos and hurls abuse at the camera operator (me!) for aiming too high!!! She is bright and witty and clever and all those good things you should have in a friend!
So as I head out on holiday to Africa and the start of "Awesome Auntyness" I am so proud that my foreign nation friendship cup overflows...this has been a great year for international peacekeeping and friend making Gina-style...and with a lot of gangnam style in between too!
Love you friends x
I like to think I had a fairly diverse group of friends in Jozi...and I do...but when you live in a cultural melting pot like London you begin to realise how much additional diversity comes from different nationalities. If you had said to me two years ago that one of my sweetest, much loved friends would come from Macedonia, I would have said..."where is Macedonia?' In fairness, I might still have to check on the map. But now my Slavica friend is firmly ensconced in this mad African's life and it is wonderful! She and I have nephew's in common - so there is much Aunty talk! A beautiful blonde bombshell is Miss S - queen of shopping and with a wardrobe to rival the Queen's too!
We like to clown around together!
My other friend, the supermodel from Hungary, Miss E. Now she and I have interacted over the last few years on work...but being in the same neck of the woods (well Europe is a neck of the woods!) has meant we have connected more closely, had fun and laughed and laughed and danced and laughed in the last 18 months! She is always composed and together - no matter the stress of the situation - I am in awe of her.
I love you my two new foreign friends - you are a delight in my life!
And then there is Charlie Brown - who rocks his bowtie at all the events - and makes me laugh so much with his antics - thank you for the smiles this year and for the amazing level headedness you show, Charlie Pops x
And my final set of new Foreign Nation friends is these two naughties! Mr Kildoo and Ms Fernando...otherwise known in my life as Mr Kil(ler)-doo and Manda-Fernanda!
I think we could start a band - what you think peeps???
Mr Killer-doo is a pseudo American/Hungarian/Danish export - and one of the most bilingual people I know! He makes me laugh in copious amounts and is my resident techie-expert...there is no new gadget that escapes his keen and eager eye! And as for Manda-Fernanda (Panda...is that too much to add maybe? :)) - well now. She is a petite as they come...she even stands on her tippy-toes for photos and hurls abuse at the camera operator (me!) for aiming too high!!! She is bright and witty and clever and all those good things you should have in a friend!
So as I head out on holiday to Africa and the start of "Awesome Auntyness" I am so proud that my foreign nation friendship cup overflows...this has been a great year for international peacekeeping and friend making Gina-style...and with a lot of gangnam style in between too!
Love you friends x




Gina, your life ROCKS... enjoy every fabulous moment love Shari xx
ReplyDelete