Since I last wrote the President of the United States has remained in power, the biggest superstorm, Sandy, hit the East Coast of the USA, I was asked to be a Godmother and Fred has turned 3 weeks old. What is happening to the time...and the earth...
I have 11 more sleeps until I get to feel the heat of Africa on my arms and squeeze the gentle cheek of my gorgeous new nephew. I had a great day in the city yesterday - wandering, hanging out with Cass and Jen and Jess and just generally seeing the beauty of this great city I live in. We walked from London Bridge along the South Bank...took in the Christmas market...walked across the bridge to Charing Cross station...into Covent Garden where we saw lights and the giant tree...then off to Oxford Street for lights and joyfulness....and finally home. A great day in the city and it started to get me excited to be here for Christmas and feel the cold on my nose and the lights twinkling in the 3pm darkness.
I realised something as I was walking...and today served to confirm it for me. In this dally kaffufle we call life, it is so easy to go off course a little and forget the journey you had your eye on from the beginning. I sometimes forget why it is that I wanted this London experience. And yesterday and today have made me remind myself why I did. I want to feel alive. I want to see things with alive eyes. I want to live consciously, generous of spirit and heart. I want to do things with energy and enthusiasm and laughter and joy in this great city. I want to continue to grow my experiences and make my life richer by the choices I make. I know a few people in London who do not share this view. I know I must irritate them beyond measure. And somedays, I think they probably need a whole lot of irritating. There are others I have given up irritating. Because they will continue to make their choices...despite my irritating efforts! But...and this was the lesson on the weekend...I have to keep remembering why I am here...why I chose this adventure...why I am playing an active role in the life I want. That is my map. And sometimes, just sometimes...I need to remind myself of my map.
So today I did something I have not done in 18 months of being in London. I was introduced to the concept by my sister And to be honest, I find it one of the most creative, calming things to do. I made my vision map for myself. I had a vision map in Jozi. I loved that map. It was inspirational. It hung behind the bathroom door and each morning I was reminded of it. I had it laminated and it is in my trunk along with my other belongings being so kindly stored at Carls and Tobes for my return one day.
I sat down and flicked through a pile of magazines. I ripped out pages and cut out pictures. I bought cardboard and glue. And I created my map here in London. My constant reminder of my route. I have hung it behind my front door, so each morning as I go bravely out into the world I can remind myself of the route on my map I have chosen.
I love it...and I will always be reminded that my map is built on hope, faith and strength...
I have 11 more sleeps until I get to feel the heat of Africa on my arms and squeeze the gentle cheek of my gorgeous new nephew. I had a great day in the city yesterday - wandering, hanging out with Cass and Jen and Jess and just generally seeing the beauty of this great city I live in. We walked from London Bridge along the South Bank...took in the Christmas market...walked across the bridge to Charing Cross station...into Covent Garden where we saw lights and the giant tree...then off to Oxford Street for lights and joyfulness....and finally home. A great day in the city and it started to get me excited to be here for Christmas and feel the cold on my nose and the lights twinkling in the 3pm darkness.
I realised something as I was walking...and today served to confirm it for me. In this dally kaffufle we call life, it is so easy to go off course a little and forget the journey you had your eye on from the beginning. I sometimes forget why it is that I wanted this London experience. And yesterday and today have made me remind myself why I did. I want to feel alive. I want to see things with alive eyes. I want to live consciously, generous of spirit and heart. I want to do things with energy and enthusiasm and laughter and joy in this great city. I want to continue to grow my experiences and make my life richer by the choices I make. I know a few people in London who do not share this view. I know I must irritate them beyond measure. And somedays, I think they probably need a whole lot of irritating. There are others I have given up irritating. Because they will continue to make their choices...despite my irritating efforts! But...and this was the lesson on the weekend...I have to keep remembering why I am here...why I chose this adventure...why I am playing an active role in the life I want. That is my map. And sometimes, just sometimes...I need to remind myself of my map.
So today I did something I have not done in 18 months of being in London. I was introduced to the concept by my sister And to be honest, I find it one of the most creative, calming things to do. I made my vision map for myself. I had a vision map in Jozi. I loved that map. It was inspirational. It hung behind the bathroom door and each morning I was reminded of it. I had it laminated and it is in my trunk along with my other belongings being so kindly stored at Carls and Tobes for my return one day.
I sat down and flicked through a pile of magazines. I ripped out pages and cut out pictures. I bought cardboard and glue. And I created my map here in London. My constant reminder of my route. I have hung it behind my front door, so each morning as I go bravely out into the world I can remind myself of the route on my map I have chosen.
I love it...and I will always be reminded that my map is built on hope, faith and strength...
Awesomeness! Thank you for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete