Over a month since I last wrote...seems like yesterday. And holy smokes, what a month. In one month I have been to Atlanta, New York City, Zimbabwe and Johannesburg. Literally thousands of miles in all that. Not a huge amount of it has been fun...although my sweet Texan would be mortified at that comment...it was fun when you were around monkey nuts!
The USA was a WHOLE LOT of work. Meetings, conversations, difficult moments. Hotels, taxis, bars, food, slide decks, hand shaking and general energy sapping stuff. And the Texan and I had the COLDEST weekend EVER in Atlanta. And what happens when a Texan and a Zimbabwean are together...well now - insanity prevails...and so we went for a walk...in a park...with minus temperatures and a wind chill of inexplicable proportions...and the Texan was bleating he did not have enough layers on...I told him to toughen up! [This is us FREEEEEZZZZING in the park!]
Now let's establish one thing here...Atlanta does not have the hugest amount of tourist attractions. In fact - they have ummm...2. And we did both of them! The Texan considered himself ABOVE going to the World of Coca Cola in Atlanta...but I guilted him into it and footed the bill...no more complaining! I loved it - just fascinating! And complete with mad movie at the end that had wacky effects...the Texan reached for my hand the moment his chair shot forward and just about propelled him into the screen...and I just cried with laughter! I even have a photo with the polar bear...it was at the beginning when the boy had patience and a sense of humour intact!
But aside from the absence of tourist attractions...Atlanta has a food scene that rivals nowhere else I have been...just superb. Texas introduced me to biscuits (as in American scone type ones)...and I was smitten....yum! I had grits for breakfast...not to be repeated...! I love travelling with someone - the boy had done all the homework on restaurants, took total charge, drove us around AND had a GPS...there was harmony in the world!!!! We slept...a LOT! We laughed...a LOT! For pete's sake...the boy brought a flipping noise machine with him to help him sleep....needless to say it kept me awake ALL night!!!!
And then it was back to work for me and the Texan returned to his sunnier climes without me...somebody has to work to pay the bills! A flit back to London and I breathed a sigh of relief...no more flights until Easter...or so I thought.
10 days later...the call you never want to get in your life. It was my sister. Mom had had a stroke. My worst nightmare was happening and I was shattered. I bought a ticket home to Zim within the hour and was on the plane 6 hours later. It was the most surreal 6 hours of my life. I got on that plane and realised it was a miracle I had made it as I was on autopilot. I made it home by the next day - Carls and Fred joined me on the flight on the Tuesday lunch to Bulawayo. Straight to the hospital (after my sister had almost rugby tackled the nurse when she would not let Fred into the ward to say hi to his Gogo!!!) Never ever ever try to mess with a Wilson daughter when their Mom is under threat...you will come off 2nd best! Anyways - thank goodness the momma bear is on the mend, out of hospital and hopefully on her way to good health. It was amazing to see my family unexpectedly and spend time with the people who I love so very much and who make my life complete. Friends and family alike - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Wilson family is loved beyond measure by so many amazing people in Bulawayo - I am grateful for this blessing every day of my life.
I arrived back in London on Monday. Weary and jet lagged and wondering how the flaming hell I had managed to be in 5 different cities in 3 weeks...on 3 different continents. Sometimes you just blink and the universe lets you know its plan!
And amazingly enough I am boarding another plane in 2 weeks....but this time it is for a holiday. I cannot wait to explore the amazing sights and smells of Italy. Venice, Cinque Terre and Rome this time around. Excited! 10 days on my own. I will miss my lovelies. But the thought of my own company, time to reflect and be peaceful, time to watch the world go by and get lost. I am overjoyed. But until the holiday...St Paddy's day to be celebrated...a Fit for Fred fun run coming up next weekend...thank you life for the amazing chances to live fully, happily and with energy.
The USA was a WHOLE LOT of work. Meetings, conversations, difficult moments. Hotels, taxis, bars, food, slide decks, hand shaking and general energy sapping stuff. And the Texan and I had the COLDEST weekend EVER in Atlanta. And what happens when a Texan and a Zimbabwean are together...well now - insanity prevails...and so we went for a walk...in a park...with minus temperatures and a wind chill of inexplicable proportions...and the Texan was bleating he did not have enough layers on...I told him to toughen up! [This is us FREEEEEZZZZING in the park!]
Now let's establish one thing here...Atlanta does not have the hugest amount of tourist attractions. In fact - they have ummm...2. And we did both of them! The Texan considered himself ABOVE going to the World of Coca Cola in Atlanta...but I guilted him into it and footed the bill...no more complaining! I loved it - just fascinating! And complete with mad movie at the end that had wacky effects...the Texan reached for my hand the moment his chair shot forward and just about propelled him into the screen...and I just cried with laughter! I even have a photo with the polar bear...it was at the beginning when the boy had patience and a sense of humour intact!
But aside from the absence of tourist attractions...Atlanta has a food scene that rivals nowhere else I have been...just superb. Texas introduced me to biscuits (as in American scone type ones)...and I was smitten....yum! I had grits for breakfast...not to be repeated...! I love travelling with someone - the boy had done all the homework on restaurants, took total charge, drove us around AND had a GPS...there was harmony in the world!!!! We slept...a LOT! We laughed...a LOT! For pete's sake...the boy brought a flipping noise machine with him to help him sleep....needless to say it kept me awake ALL night!!!!
And then it was back to work for me and the Texan returned to his sunnier climes without me...somebody has to work to pay the bills! A flit back to London and I breathed a sigh of relief...no more flights until Easter...or so I thought.
10 days later...the call you never want to get in your life. It was my sister. Mom had had a stroke. My worst nightmare was happening and I was shattered. I bought a ticket home to Zim within the hour and was on the plane 6 hours later. It was the most surreal 6 hours of my life. I got on that plane and realised it was a miracle I had made it as I was on autopilot. I made it home by the next day - Carls and Fred joined me on the flight on the Tuesday lunch to Bulawayo. Straight to the hospital (after my sister had almost rugby tackled the nurse when she would not let Fred into the ward to say hi to his Gogo!!!) Never ever ever try to mess with a Wilson daughter when their Mom is under threat...you will come off 2nd best! Anyways - thank goodness the momma bear is on the mend, out of hospital and hopefully on her way to good health. It was amazing to see my family unexpectedly and spend time with the people who I love so very much and who make my life complete. Friends and family alike - there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the Wilson family is loved beyond measure by so many amazing people in Bulawayo - I am grateful for this blessing every day of my life.
I arrived back in London on Monday. Weary and jet lagged and wondering how the flaming hell I had managed to be in 5 different cities in 3 weeks...on 3 different continents. Sometimes you just blink and the universe lets you know its plan!
And amazingly enough I am boarding another plane in 2 weeks....but this time it is for a holiday. I cannot wait to explore the amazing sights and smells of Italy. Venice, Cinque Terre and Rome this time around. Excited! 10 days on my own. I will miss my lovelies. But the thought of my own company, time to reflect and be peaceful, time to watch the world go by and get lost. I am overjoyed. But until the holiday...St Paddy's day to be celebrated...a Fit for Fred fun run coming up next weekend...thank you life for the amazing chances to live fully, happily and with energy.


Jeepers Gins....didn't know about your mom. praying for a complete recovery for her. Love Pete
ReplyDeleteThanks Pete - appreciate the prayers x
ReplyDelete