Tonight I am feeling random. Literally like 'I might want to bath in condensed milk and then roll in dyed pink chicken feathers' random. I have been pestering my Kungfu Panda in Jozi with the words....'bbbboooooooorrrrrreeeed!' all night. I think he wants to KILL me!
I came down with a touch of the lurgy on Sunday later afternoon/early Monday morning. I dragged my butt into the office on Monday...coughed and spluttered all over everyone...and got turfed out at lunchtime by my boss who kindly asked me to work at home for the remainder of the week and not come back until the germs were gone. I have obliged. But holy smokes - I have not clapped my eyes on another living soul since 12 noon on Monday...and it is now nearly 11pm Wednesday...that's an insane amount of time to go solo.
Sure - I have facetimed my sister and the gang...had a laugh about portakabins....family joke really! But I have not actually had physical human interaction for 60 hours...and I am acting all sorts of strains of random I tell ya! It has got so bad this evening I found myself cleaning out my cupboard and checking all my winter tights for ladders...I ask you with TEARS in my eyes...what the feck is that about!!!
I think the exuberance of mates in the Southern hemisphere who are whipping themselves into a frenzy spring cleaning are making me want to nest...they are ridding themselves of their excess...and I am too...2 GIANT bin bags full of clothes and bags and other bits and bobs for the charity shop...oh how I wish I could send it to Africa instead.
Continuing with the random theme...I found myself chuckling just now as I drank a large med-lemon on the couch. This is my year of humour and magic...and I need to check-in on how the H&M rankings are stacking up. After all - there is not a helluva lot left of this year...less than 100 days until I get to rock-n'roll with the Fredster in Jozi...and see the mothership and the sistola! But I digress. Humour and Magic. Well - actually...on reflection....pretty good rankings on the H&M side really. I have had to develop a sense of humour (BIG TIME!) with the NHS this year...and with my health too...my Rheumatoid Arthritis has had a CRACKER year really...as of this morning I am now waiting to be booked into a sleep clinic because my condials (aka back of my jawbones) are receding from my disease and the dental surgeon is concerned that when I sleep my oxygen supply is being restricted as a result. Oh JOYS - how bloody funny! Seriously - if anyone had told me 4 years ago when I was diagnosed that I would need to go to a sleep clinic I would have peed my pants...but not this time around matey. I am prepared for anything these days! The humour has also continued with my right shoulder...turns out I need to have a decompression of my rotator cuff...yes, you guessed...an RA by-product! Just as long as they don't ever need to remove my funny bone, I will be right as rain! So yes - probably sitting with a 13 out of 10 for humour at this stage in the 2013 game!
And as for the magic...well the magic...that FAR exceeds much of the humour at the moment. One of my dearest friends is having a baby in November...I cannot wait to meet her my friend - she will be a ginger ninja like her dad I reckon! I have watched the Fredst(a)r [thanks Franc] grow into an EPIC little human this year...crawling at 9 months with 7 teeth for the tooth fairy so far. And by far the chubbiest cheeks and the naughtiest laugh EVER...what an amazing privilege to watch him grow up! And in between all the big moments have been tons and tons of special magic moments....like Greece...and the sunniest Summer I have had in 3 years...and stolen moments celebrating life events with friends....helium balloons in canary wharf...drunk old ladies in restaurants in Norwood...gentle conversations on the couch in my home....just so much calm, humble magic to be thankful for.
This week I had an awesome conversation with a friend of many years...many many years...and it reminded me of the MAGIC. We met via internet dating in 2004. He was the very first person I emailed when I joined the site (and pretty much the last!). And waiting for his response was agonising. It took him days. I later discovered it was because he did not check the site regularly...his friend had signed him up. We first met for ice-cream at Sandton Square in May 2004...on a Sunday afternoon. We sat on the steps by Nelson Mandela's statue and chatted. I think that afternoon turned into drinks and, like the gentlemen he is, he walked me to my car and said goodnight. From that moment we have been in touch. Sometimes we have gone months without seeing each other...other times has been this frenetic need to see other 3 times in a month. We are both Aquarians and we feed off each others energy big time. In all our years of friendship I have only ever met his sister and his cousin...and even then I still think that was a 'flook'. He has met some of my mates, my sister once or twice I think. But pretty much our friendship is one we reserve for each other. And our friendship is like no other friendship I have. It is an intense one. Filled with deep discussion, constant questioning of one another and the most comfortable of silence. We talk about things so deeply personal and intimate...and never ever do we judge any ounce of what is said. We lead distinctly different lives he and I...but yet our connection is an intimate and soulful one. We were whatsapping on Monday night...late. This is what we do. I remember in Jozi we would inevitably find one another at 'stupid o'clock' in the morning...on the way home from parties, from friends braai's, etc...we would think nothing of driving across the city at 2am to be able to connect. But back to Monday...we were chatting on whatsapp...and he surprised me to the core with the frankness of that conversation. I texted him the next morning and said to him 'I actually woke up this morning and had to re-read that conversation to check it really happened. Totally surreal'. But surreal or not - it was a powerful one. There is something about that conversation on Monday night that has contributed to the randomness this week - of that I am sure. And just so you know... I, just like you Kungfu Panda, am not particularly good at sharing YOU either.
So tonight I go to bed - still irritating my family and mates with my texting and sighs of boredom. Good thing Kungfu Panda is working and Cass is in Amsterdam and Leane in NYC and my sis is having a stressful night with a sick baba and Noo is in Jozi...and Crone is not answering his phone...surprise...because otherwise I would be driving you okeys round the bend with my randomness!
Off to dream of turkeys singing 'Joy to the World'...not long till Christmas!!! Nighty night lonestars!



No comments:
Post a Comment