Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The MAGIC of Madiba

I am heading off to Heathrow in a few short hours and I have spent much of the morning here in London with Madiba's memorial on in the background.  Some of it has been inspiring...some of it a stark reality of the situation in the country right now...JZ boo'd.  Not the time or place - but the message was heard.  I just hope that those who so bravely stood up and boo'd from the safety of their seat in the FNB Stadium take that energy to the polls in 2014.

This has been a really tough and emotional 5 days.  I have watched people react in completely different ways.  Some have surprised me, others have delighted me.  Initially I was mortified that some did not seem to know or care.  And then I came to a place of deep acceptance.  I try very hard to practice tolerance...and this was just another time when I needed to draw on those reserves.

I know where my grief and sadness comes from...I am not in denial.  I am so very sad that someone who lived his life talking reconciliation and forgiveness to the world is gone.  I am sad for Graca, a woman who has had to bury two husbands who gave their hearts to their countries.  But mostly I am sad because Mandela is everything and will be everything that our infamous Zimbabwean president is not.  And that for me breaks my heart.  Over and over and over again.

I will always remember being at Parliament Square in London on Friday 6 December at 12.20pm with my friend Cisca.  This was the first time that I came together with others grieving.  And it was completely cathartic.  I took Proteas to lay at his statue.  I wrote a message from myself and my family and a put a picture of Pudding on the message...wearing his shirt with Madiba on it and in front of our school emblem at Girls College in Bulawayo.  In the evening, I spent two hours in the queue at South Africa House with the crowd singing and expressing much acknowledgement of their love for Madiba.  I signed my note in the book of condolence from myself and my family.  I sang Nkosi Sikelele and Asimbonanga with those doing a vigil for Madiba.  I include some of these photos of these amazing moments.

These moments were mine to treasure.  To remember and find solace. But most of all these moments remind me I am human.  That I care deeply and passionately about doing the right thing.  That I love Africa to the core of my being.  And I remain every thankful and every humbled by Madiba's selfless life.

See those of you in Jozi soon - for the remainder of you, Happy Christmas.  May 2014 bring us all renewed vigour, cherished moments and individual reflection xxxx










No comments:

Post a Comment