Tuesday, December 31, 2013

2013...the year of humour and magic...

Those of you who read my blog regularly may remember that I set myself the target of 2013 being the year of humour and magic.  Lots and lots of magic.  I made myself a MAGIC jar and proceeded to put things that made me smile and remember the magic in it for the duration of the year.  And today is the day to open that jar and read those things that I captured.  So I sat down now and and opened the jar. I held my breath a little to be honest.  Mainly because I recognise how much I have grown in thought and deed this year and I was hoping that some of the things I had not captured would not appear frivolous (silly silly me...they are MINE to enjoy not for others to judge).

I opened the jar gingerly.  And the control freak in me decided to count the number of pieces of paper I had put into the jar (I note that I did get a little remiss at using my magic jar in the latter half of the year).  I counted.  I recounted.  This could not be possible.  I am a believer that there are messages everywhere in the universe.  Everywhere.  But only if you pay attention to the universe and live fully and present in today.  My counting was correct.  There were 14.  14 magic messages.  Now 14 is symbolic for 3 reasons to me.  Perhaps the most simple symbolism - it is an even number...I really like even numbers...it runs in my family...we even have to have the radio volume on an even number.  But 14 is also symbolic because it is the day of the month that always makes me think of my Dad - he died on the 14th.  But most importantly - 14 magic messages leading me to 2014.  Yes - messages abounded.





I began to open them one by one - taking photos as I went...and I was instantly taken back to the moments when they happened.  My heart filled with smiles.  Many of them were recollecting the wonder of my new nephew...his laugh...the fact that he pooed on my foot in June...several were about travel and how it makes my heart smile and fly...and a few of them were about a special friend who I reconnected with this year...who has made me laugh, do silly things, who shared his special family time with me in Italy and who has just generally been a positive force in my life in 2013...thank you for the gift of your friendship you kind, generous, sensitive soul.







So as 2013 comes to an end I know a few things for sure...

  • It has been a great year for me work-wise.  I have come into my own.  There have been many many trying moments, but overall - I am on top of my game and enjoying my chance to prove my worth.  
  • I have developed an unhealthy addiction to One Republic's music...how did I ever manage without their music...I ask you with tears in my eyes!
  • London becomes more and more familiar to me as a place with every passing day.  I miss the smells and sounds of Africa and my beloved family and friends - but London is where my dreams are unfolding for the moment.
  • Travel is an integral part of who I am.  It has taught me patience, wonder and tolerance this year. It has provided me with multiple opportunities to accept, acknowledge and appreciate.  It has taught me the beauty of simplicity.  I love the adventure of setting out with plans in my head and energy in my heart to make the best of the trips.  I have been to a lot of places this year...but undoubtedly my best city this year...Venice.  And surprisingly I was there on my own in the pouring rain. I loved the romanticism of Venice.  I will go back there.  It captured my heart.  
  • When I am feeling like I am stuck or uncomfortable...I need to write it down.  Not talk about it, not dwell on it, not lose sleep over it.  Just write.  Because when I write, I make sense of things.  I get some kind of clarity about talking about it with myself.  
  • If you do not ask, then you do not get.  I have learnt this lesson this year and exited the better for it.  My mom has said it to me my whole life but I had not recognised its true sense until I started to practice it. I asked for the universe to help me get to London.  It worked.  I asked the universe for protection of my mom - she has made it through two strokes and a several operations in 20 months.  I crafted a plan on how I wanted my career to grow and I asked for it from my boss. It happened.  But you have to want what you are asking for really really badly.  Not half-heartedly.  But with 150% full-on passionate desire.  Some things I have asked for have not come to fruition.  But I know in the fullness of time, the seeds I planted this year will bear fruit.  I know it.  This is the cycle of life.  I just need to tap into my patience. 



And so I am going to ask for what I want from 2014...not a long laundry list...just a few things to make me remember the magic of 2013...and continue to remind me of the commitment I have made to myself for 2014.  I cannot change what people do, BUT I can change the way I respond...my 2014 motto.  I own every second of what this world can give...thanks One Republic.

In 2014 I am asking for..
  • The chance to travel to places that are unfamiliar and help me to understand more about humanity 
  • The opportunity to love and be loved by a man - it has been a while...
  • A second chance to respect the amazing feats of my body - this is the only one that I have to carry me through the remainder of my life...
  • A year of health and success for my family and friends...
  • Humility in delicious abundance...I crave the simple life.  
Wherever you are in the world - wishing you a new year of reflection, laughter, hugs and much humility.  Thank you 2013 for the lessons, the abundance of magic and the never ending humour.  2014 - I am excited to meet you!  





1 comment:

  1. Nice one, Gina. I wish you a year abundant in happiness. I shared my ambitions for 2014 via my blog too: http://myownprivatevanityfair.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/confessions-of-an-optimist/

    ReplyDelete