Sunday, June 1, 2014

Taking the slow road...



I have been quiet in the last few months.  Quiet on my blog, quieter on Facebook (although some may not think so) and quietest in my social life.  You see - I have been trying to nurture myself.  2014 has proved to be very interesting on the work front and this has taken every last ounce of energy I have to give.  I spent 3 weeks in India on business - a great experience that renewed my faith in my own capabilities....only to come back to London and have that faith pulled out from under me.  On top of the work shenanigans...I have been plagued with an ongoing shoulder injury that has altered my sleep patterns, left me battling to carry stuff and in a great deal of discomfort.  The perils of having severe RA combined with an ageing body and a nephew that I love to carry around. And then the ever shifting sands of friendship that are a constant source of confusion and heartache...combined with many amazing moments. So yes...2014 has not had the most zesty start!

On 21 May I went in for a shoulder op to try and rectify the problem.  I was scared - hospitals are not my favourite thing in the world and I am absolutely terrified of dying.  It was the first time in my life that I have ever been in a hospital where my family members were not close on hand.  It was an altogether strange experience.  Anyway - I made it through ok...a night in hospital on morphine is a great calmer!  And the last 1.5 weeks have been spent trying to get myself in and out of a sling, being careful on the pavement (notoriously unflat in London), teaching my right hand how to type again (it is amazing how much you rely on your whole shoulder/arm/hand equation to work every day) and laying low.  Some days are great, others agonising.  Yesterday was terrible - very very uncomfortable.

Today marks the start of my 4th year in my job here in London.  It seemed a pertinent day to write.  On Friday 13 June I go for the interview to extend my visa for the final 2 years...hold thumbs all goes well!  And it's funny - the more I think about 'the next two years' the more I realise that this supposed initial 3 year adventure is starting to become more permanent to me.  In theory, I should have been heading back to Joburg on 19 June 2014 if I went along with my comments to friends when I first left...'I'm just going for a few years for the adventure - happy to come home after 3 years!!'  The words of the innocent I suspect!

In between all the quietness, I find myself adoring my little nephew more and more every day.  He is walking and running and laughing and chatting and doing funny things and becoming his own little personality more and more every day.  He is off to see his Gogo on Friday and she is beside herself with excitement - it is very dear to see!  I suspect he will exhaust her in the first 2 hours of being there - but that is the joy of grandparenthood! How I wish I was going to be there with them.

2014 is the first of my years in London where I will not be making the trip home to Africa over the course of the year.  I have a big trip planned in December - 1 month in Jhb, CT and Byo.  But no trips from Jan to Dec.  It is tough going.  I worked out the other day - in the 3 years I have been in London, I have been back to Africa 7 times.  The most NUTS statistic.  And that was why I needed to curb the travels this year and focus them elsewhere.  I cannot use all my spare leave and loot to keep going to Africa...not while my time here is limited.  So this week I booked a Summer holiday to Budapest, a city break to Paris and a jaunt to Iceland to see the Northern Lights.  So August, September and November are covered and then off to Africa in early Dec.  And next year...next year I am prioritising the West Coast of the USA as my BIG trip...Vegas, Grand Canyon, San Fran, LA...I am much closer to the US here than I am in SA...it has to be done whilst I am here!

I am also trying to see more of the UK this year...I loved Edinburgh when I went in Early May and planning to go and see Bath, Stonehenge, York, Brighton and Oxford before the year is out.  The beauty of hopping on a train for the day.

But aside from the travel and the plans for concerts and Wimbledon and seeing friends over lazy lunches/dinners...I am continuing to take the slow road.  I need to, my body needs me to, my heart needs me to and my sanity needs me to.  Every day I wake up with my only intention to be kind to others.  Some days I don't get it 100% right.  But I try.  I have realised though - I have not been kind to myself this year.  And that is why the slow road becomes a necessary diversion.

Have a wonderful Sunday friends - may you find your slow road that satiates your soul.  Big love xxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment