Sunday, August 17, 2014

#100happydays….


I made it…and I could not be prouder. There is little in life that I have stuck to with a level of fervour.  I don't recall how I even decided to do the #100happydays challenge.  Perhaps I stumbled upon it on Pinterest…maybe I saw it on others Facebook profiles.

Irrespective - I did and I am so glad I did.

My dear friend Andrew and I ended up doing the challenge together.  I posted to Facebook that I was going to do it and Andrew commented.  I challenged him to join me.  He did.  The rest is history.

Initially it was a little bit of a mental reminder to find something to be happy (and therefore photograph) each day…that probably lasted about a week.  Andrew and I spoke about it felt a little like a 'task' some days in the beginning.  But to be honest on reflection for this blog post I realised that whenever you are trying to change behaviour in life…it will always feel like a task in the beginning.  It will feel like a noose around your neck.  The thing you 'have' to do each day.  It kinda takes the wind out of your sails.  That is until you find your groove.  Your eyes start looking for something different every day. That first week I think I skidded in just before midnight on occasion…finding myself watching something mindless on the telly and going 'sh#t I forgot today's picture'.

I am a little sad it is over.  It became something I looked forward to every day.  My sturdy, consistent companion.  But you see, just because the party's over doesn't mean the celebrations have to stop.  And this is where the benefit of the challenge really kicks in.

I have given myself the most extraordinary gift by undertaking this 100 day metamorphosis.  It is a gift I will have for the rest of my life.  I can't think of anything else in the world from a gift perspective that lasts a lifetime.  So yes - I feel quite proud of myself.

What is this gift you may be wondering.  Quite simply, I gave me to myself.  I spent 100 days examining…really focussing…on the things that made my emotion respond positively.  I came to understand the stimulus in my environment that bring out the smiles and the tears and the laughter and the happy.  Some things I already knew - but my understanding of 'why' I loved some things really came to the fore.  I also recognised the things that ignite my passion…that make me sparkle from the inside.  And by focussing on one of these things each and every single day, there were many other by-products.  Every action has a reaction as we all know.  By looking for my 'happy' I came to appreciate how simple that 'happy' could be.  I identified the things that suck on my 'happy'…little draw on my spiritual lifeblood.  I became so much more patient, tolerant and understanding.  I have always been a positive person…but this made me even more so.  I think I probably became helluva annoying for some people.  I have been 'unfriended' over the course of the 100 days.  And the funny thing (and you may not have noticed it…it was covert!) - over the course of the 100 days…aside from my daily update, I made very few status updates.  On purpose.  I wanted to focus on the reality I wanted to create.  I wanted to make sure my energy was channelled where it could have the biggest impact.

I saw patterns in what made me happy….music, being active in my community, saying yes to shows and events that ordinarily I may have accidentally on purpose said no to because it was too far out of my comfort zone.  I saw that when I just said 'yes' without any sense of expectation it mostly ended up brilliantly.  My family brought joy and laughter…as did being free of constraints (like alarm clocks). Sunshine, beautiful views, hugs from people who love me dearly, flowers…lots and lots of magical flowers. Inspiring quotes, corny jokes and opportunities to be nostalgic about my life growing up in Africa.  Good wine, good food…especially when loved one's made it for me….or were drinking it with me. Children, Wimbledon, bath times with the Fredster and the delight of gatherings with people I love.    Getting a new job, my stunning city in the summer, my sister and her humour, spending time with adults who have known me since I was a child.  There is nothing that beats the familiarity of people who embrace you with open arms and recognise the child in you.  A new arrival for my wonderful friends Jono and Tarry.  And travel…always travel.  The chance to see the world and live this one life I have actively and with purpose.

When I look back over the photos of the 100 days I love the feelings that they evoke.  Doing a 100 day project means you are consciously living each moment of each day.  You are alert, present, energised by the day and always always on the alert for the moment when your heart lilts with joy and magical abundance.  I have picked out a few of my favourite pics to share on this blog…but all 101 of them are very special (I took a liberty in the early days when I had had two happy memories in one day to have a part (a) and (b) on that day...cheeky I know!)      

I do not know what comes next.  My dear friend Carrie noted that she did not want my #100happydays to end…couldn't I do 200.  But that is the thing.  I am sure there are many other parts of myself that no doubt need a 'tune-up' through another 100 day experience.  And I will do it.  I just need to figure out where I want to focus next…because undoubtedly, where you focus becomes your reality and I am living proof of that.

Happy Sunday darlings x













No comments:

Post a Comment