Thursday, December 24, 2015

An ode to 2015....




The more people I talk to, the more I hear the words 'where has the year gone' or 'can't believe this was a year ago'...etc etc.  And it got me thinking.  Does time really speed up as we get older, or are we all just time poor and not paying enough attention to what is happening in our worlds?

I find this time of year always makes me a little more introspective and contemplative.  It is one of the things I struggle with in the working world - I chase the end of the financial year (on 30 June) but really I only ever properly breathe out when it comes to the end of the calendar year.  And when I breathe out, I think.  I have the space to allow my mind some downtime.  And it always surprises me with the insight it brings.

So what has this years downtime caused me to think about...


  • If you don't make time for the things you love, they will not make time for themselves
  • Making life decisions gets tougher as I get older - moving to another country has moments of being utterly daunting
  • You are never too young to save money in a currency that will appreciate over time 
  • Saving for my retirement has to be a well thought out plan....without children I need to be sure I can look after myself (eek - scary!) 
  • Friends come and go.  Those that go often do so on their terms, not yours.  And as heartbreaking as it is, it too shall pass....just don't choose bitterness over moving on....I did for too long.
  • Family can make you smile and irritate you within the same second - that is life!!!
  • Communication communication communication.  I have watched friends and family mis and under communicate all year creating blame, confusion, irritation and often an argument.  As someone I once used to know, 'make sure it does what it says on the tin'....in other words - be direct, communicate clearly and be precise...communication TRULY does have transformative powers.
  • Pragmatism rules over sentiment.  If it is not logical and does not make sense, why do it!!!
  • Always always be kind.  Even when you want to shout - choose kindness.  No matter the person, no matter the situation, no matter the issue at hand.  Find the path of kindness and take it swiftly.  Aside from being the 'right' thing to do, it also brings far better outcomes to interactions - seen it with my own eyes.
  • Being a little scared is good for your adrenaline....but being scared for too long over an extended period of time is draining and unhealthy.  Make choices that balance the fear and the reward. 
  • Love comes in all shapes and sizes.  It does not look predictable.  Sometimes you know it is there, but it is so hard to put into words what you are able to recognise it.  
  • it is important as humans to receive confirmation through touch.  Using all our senses is important, but I tend to find my sense of touch is least used.  And it is a pity - hugs after all can help with depression and illness.  When was the last time you hugged someone with every ounce of energy you have?
  • Never buy cheap shoes.  As the saying goes - 'buy cheap, buy twice'....which in and of itself is problematic enough...but my feet also need proper shoes to help them walk me hundreds of kilometres in my daily life.  Thanks feet!
  • Laughter is the best medicine - especially in the company of those you love...
  • Get enough sleep.  I have just decided as I type this blog post that I am going to give myself the gift this Christmas of fixing my sleep routine.  Better and more sleep -> better mental clarity ->  better concentration -> better communication -> better results and better relationships.  
As I type these up, I realise that many of them sound negative.  They aren't though.  2015 has been a tough year with some mental hurdles - I am having to leave the city I love at a time when I simply do not want to and I am helluva sad to be doing so.  I know I will make the best of my next city - but as I knock on the 1 year countdown to 40, I am reminded that I need to figure out where my 'forever home' is....because that is where my final move needs to be to.  

Wishing you all abundance of faith, hope, love, laughter, happiness and kindness as we move into 2016.  Eat too much ham, drink champers and toast to loved ones across the world.  

Sending love and light to you all xxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment