Tonight I watched my Bokke play their last match in the RWC2015. It was INCREDIBLY bittersweet. I had egged on SA from the very first {fateful} day in Brighton. The last game in Springbok colours for Schalk Burger and Victor Matfield…the missed opportunity for Bryan Habana to set a new world record. Yet there were moments of the game tonight that brought a tear to my eye…the passion, the fiery spirit, the excitement, the energy, the enthusiasm, the sportsmanship, the laughter. 30 men who love the game of rugby.
I started out on this RWC2015 journey in a totally different place to where I have ended. Over a year ago, I put in a ballot for a bunch of tickets and wondered if I would manage to get any. If I am totally honest, I suspect I initially applied with a little bit of a 'infatuation bias'…a bucket list notion to attend a RWC. And then when I got tickets to 2 of the SA pool games, I started to realise quite how COOL this experience was actually going to be. And then my lovely friend, Fee, gave me a ticket to SA vs Scotland in Newcastle for my birthday and shit got real…I was going to be there to watch my Bokke play like kings.
Now here is the thing about Rugby - it is addictive. It is not just about skill, but about heart. Lots and lots and lots of heart. And that my friends is where I come in. I 'do' heart. I carry my 'heart' on my sleeve always. I 'understand' heart!
I have felt so much a part of this RWC. I have loved every second of the 'gees'. Following the games, being excited about the chances to play world class teams. I have loved the jesting in the media. I think the social media coverage of the RWC has been WORLD CLASS. It has been an emotional tournament filled with human moments. None more poignant than the embrace between Jesse Kriel and Sonny Boy Williams when New Zealand broke the Boks RWC2015 dreams into pieces. It has felt very 'human' - like we have had an insiders view on the Bokke and their time in the UK over the last 6 weeks. I have been so thrilled to see pictures of their families coming together, the brotherhood of the team. Heyneke Meyer has {pleasantly} surprised me. I know there will always be an axe to grind with ANY coach of ANY team in ANY part of the world if they are not winning. But the man has shown such humility - totally unexpected. And as for his friendship with the All Black coach - 100% special.
I feel totally honoured to have made it to 5 world cup games. 5. FIVE. My Dad would be SO proud of me. In fact, in the quiet 'in-between' moments I have found myself wishing he had been here to come to a game or two with me. We would have had such fun together - I just know it. I have surprised myself with how much I actually do know about rugby. I have been thrilled to share the experience with friends and loved ones from all the 'limbs' of my life. School friends, Bulawayo friends, London friends, Uni friends, new friends, old friends, girl friends, boy friends. What a glorious mixed bag of allsorts!
Tomorrow I will shout for the All Blacks. I will shout for them because they are a GREAT team. I will shout for them because they have displayed humanness that speaks to my heart. I will shout for them because their captain has commandeered a strong, well mannered group of men from day one. I will shout for them because I love that a tiny island can produce such INCREDIBLE players. I will shout for them because they play big, they play hard, they play fair. And of course, the sexiness of the Haka does not go amiss. I learnt an important lesson this week from my friend, J-Bird. Be certain that you know WHY you are doing something. It is fine to pursue something relentlessly, but do it because of something, not in spite of something else. Thank you, J-Bird for reminding me of my truth.
My favourite moments of the tournament…there are many…but four stand out…
- Seeing 'that' try by JP Pietersen right in front of where I was sitting behind the posts at the Boks vs Samoa game in Birmingham…that whole game was poetry in motion…but that try - wow!
- Seeing 'that' try by Fourie du Preez on the try line in front of my eyes at the Boks vs Wales at Twickenham…I had paid 215 quid for a ticket last minute…that try was worth every penny…5 times over.
- Nkosi sikelele…hand on heart…in person…4 times…epic!!!
- Friends…lots and lots of friends…from all over the world…united, together, sharing in the spirit of rugby…nothing compares…
Go the All Blacks….and see the Bokke in Japan for RWC2019…I will be there! Not sure my lucky jeans will be though…I wore them out at RWC2015!!!
#bokbefokforlife
A selection of my favourite moments...





















No comments:
Post a Comment