Thank you for testing my mettle. Every day. Each day. Relentlessly. You showed me my arse several times. You definitely showed you are the boss. 2016 - 1. Gina - 0.
However, you did not break me. I did not succumb to your never ending pushing. Some days I felt like I was drowning. Others I was treading water. Once or twice I walked on water in elation. But you cannot steal my spirit or sense of resolve. You can dampen it, for sure. And you did on regular occasion. But I am my own warrior and I did fight back. Scrappily; scratching at you with finger nails and kicks. A fight is a fight no matter the weather. But here's the thing. I am tired of fighting. I would far rather dance with you. Preferably something fun and sultry like the tango. So this final blog post of the year is my invitation to dance with me next year. 2017. The year of being fabulous at forty. You ready to take some dancing lessons so we can learn to get in step?
And dear 2016, you were not without your life lessons, so (indirectly) thank you for those too. Here they are in no particular order.
However, you did not break me. I did not succumb to your never ending pushing. Some days I felt like I was drowning. Others I was treading water. Once or twice I walked on water in elation. But you cannot steal my spirit or sense of resolve. You can dampen it, for sure. And you did on regular occasion. But I am my own warrior and I did fight back. Scrappily; scratching at you with finger nails and kicks. A fight is a fight no matter the weather. But here's the thing. I am tired of fighting. I would far rather dance with you. Preferably something fun and sultry like the tango. So this final blog post of the year is my invitation to dance with me next year. 2017. The year of being fabulous at forty. You ready to take some dancing lessons so we can learn to get in step?
And dear 2016, you were not without your life lessons, so (indirectly) thank you for those too. Here they are in no particular order.
- Being loyal is a foreign concept to many people these days. Your definition or loyalty will never ever be any one else's. No matter how loyal you are, you cannot and should not expect the same in return. You will only be disappointed.
- The world is commitment phobic! People don't want to commit...from making dinner plans to movie tickets to relationships to car purchases. It does not matter the size of the prize - commitment is such an easy thing to avoid these days. And it drives me mad!!!
- Overcoming disappointment is a way of life. Life will disappoint you regularly. People especially. Giving your word has lost its currency these days. Looking into the eyes of a 'promise' often shows a vacant lot. So those who you truly trust, keep them close.
- Good tweezers and a proper pillow are imperative!!
- Sleep and health are inextricably linked - like a delicately balanced seesaw. And health takes work - it does not happen while you are sleeping...it happens when you practice it when you are awake.
- You can conquer your fears. I did this year. But in order to do so, you need to start. You cannot overcome something you have never attempted.
- There is no point in being in love with the idea of love. The kind you see in Romcom's on the big screen. Love is much more pragmatic and sensible than that. It is less heady-rush and more warm hot chocolate on the couch.
- Don't make promises you don't intend to keep. Ever. It is emotional blackmail. Be honest, Hold each others emotions higher than your own ego.
- Being rooted and grounded in a place you call home is so important. It is how you keep yourself sane. Cherish your home.
- I will always be too much or too little for someone. Too big, too loud, too outspoken, too intense, not gentle enough, not loving enough....the list is endless. But for my village, I am enough in spite of these things. I am enough period. The end.
Happy new year to you all - may you find joy and peace with loved ones and friends and start 2017 with zest and a sense of adventure. Much love x
No comments:
Post a Comment