I am not a plumber. Never been one. Never intend to be one. But trust me (I can here the voice of Baz Luhrmann here - 'but trust me on the sunscreen') - today I wish I was. Me and my house plumbing have a 'love/hate' relationship at the moment. In fact - probably more 'hate/hate'. I have got the shower working perfectly, only for the blooming toilet to start making dodgy gurgling sounds and the water rising up the toilet bowl each timeyou flush. Trust me - when it rises, you hold your breathe and pray like hell it stops! I think the landlady must be wondering what the hell I put down the pipes - not much I can assure you!
But let's move on to a different kind of gruesome. I was the victim of a fatality on the tracks last night. First time it has ever happened to me. I had heard about how people threw themselves in front of trains, but if I am honest with myself, I did think it was something of an urban legend. Well - last night I saw the chaos that can ensue if someone does decide to commit suicide in what must be the most contemplative and dreadful way to die. A friend, Gareth Lee-Bell, made such a great point last night when the debate was raging on Facebook about the inconvenience of disrupted trains, etc. Now - I have to tell the truth. Initially I was one of those irritated people too. I was trying to get to Wimbledon and this was a helluva pain. And then I read Gareth's status and it made me think. He wrote the following: "How many people chose annoyance over sympathy for the person who jumped in front of the train today #youfail #compassion4people". I cannot imagine how desperate you have to feel to think that jumping in front of a train is a better option than living your one life. Thanks for making me stop and think G - sometimes we all need some reminding.
Tomorrow night I am venturing out to Sunningdale to see the McNulty's - cannot wait to see some familiar faces from home. And of course Saturday's braai at the Vavatzanidis hosuehold was an absolute corker - what a splendid afternoon and evening spent laughing till be cried and dancing to Lady Gaga's - "I'm on the edge of glory"....truly a bopping song! Saville cooked up an amazing business idea - watch this space for his genius (if we can remember all our brilliant wisecracks given the amount of red wine consumed!!!)
Have a caring, compassionate week Peeps! xxx
Hmm, sounds like there’s a major blockage on your plumbing. I think it’s better to have it inspected right away since you never know when it might turn from an inconvenience into a disaster-in-the-making. And all things aside, when it comes to unfortunate accidents such as the one you’ve mentioned, it is as what your friend has said. We should set aside our own petty complaints and appreciate what we have instead of griping out over a sad, unfortunate death.
ReplyDeleteCapital Plumbing & Heating Ltd.