Friends – I am home. Back in Bulawayo at the height of the Xmas season. The time when every man and his donkey climbs into their Singapore import car from distant South African universities and heads north across the border. The time when every SAA flight is jam packed and the Customs officials at the Bulawayo hanger (I mean Airport!) are abuzz with the prospects of claiming customs duty from the poor jokey pokes who bring in shoes…I learnt that lesson this time around - $13 in import duties for a pair of tackies for our maid’s son! Anyways – there is something majorly special about being in Bulawayo at this time of the year. Shopping takes you hours to do as TM Bradfield is heaving with familiar faces…and it takes you 30 minutes to get to the bread baskets at Greenvale because you see 15 people with their hands full all wanting to give you a kiss hello!
Last night I headed out with my old friend, the one and only Miss Ash Kedda. I know, I know, She has been married for years now and I should be calling her Ash Burton – but for those of you who know the Kedda family and the wonderful 4 sisters – they are like family to me and the name Kedda always will stick with me as one of my oldest mate’s names! Anyways – we headed off to the ‘Megafest’ where DJ Yaron from Cape Town (aka Yaron Wiesenbacher whose family was of Brooks fabrics fame back in the day). Well folks – since my life I have not seen that many young people in Bulawayo in YEARS. Gary Ivy was running the bar (like clockwork as he always does) and the familiar faces were EVERYWHERE. Seriously – it was like going back to the days when there was beerfests at Hartsfield Rugby ground and Rob Killick used to sing ‘Strawberry lips’ to every pretty girl that walked by him – oh the memories of it all! So many faces that I have not seen in absolutely years and years and years! The likes of Adrian Garvey (you all remember him right?), Warren Wentzel (his kid is now 6 years old and starting at Whitestone in Jan – where does the time go!), Ryan King, Cathy Watson (now Clark), etc etc etc – the list was long and some of the old ‘ballies’ were as long in the tooth last night as they were back when I was 16 and going to beerfests at Hartsfield. But it was absolutely glorious to be outside, under the African sky, the stars magnificent and everyone in the highest of high spirits. And the funniest part for me – I remember being 20-something like most of them were and I remember well the need to get tatty and drink as many shooters as possible. Nowdays – mmmm – 4 drinks in 4 hours and I was still jolling like a teenager, with no hangover…although I did misread my watch and thought it was 12.30am when in fact it was actually 1.30am….needless to say, I have not seen a 2.30am bedtime since forever!
Anyways – there is no doubt that being in this tiny town at this time of the year is one of the most special and rewarding things in the world. I know of some people who never want to come back to Bulawayo…and let me tell you after the fun I had last night, why the bloody hell you wouldn’t want to is beyond me! So those of you thinking of paying a visit – put a pound/dollar/yen in the piggy bank this minute and save yo’ass off – cos Xmas 2012 will be as mega as last night…of that I have no doubt! Over and out! xxx
Last night I headed out with my old friend, the one and only Miss Ash Kedda. I know, I know, She has been married for years now and I should be calling her Ash Burton – but for those of you who know the Kedda family and the wonderful 4 sisters – they are like family to me and the name Kedda always will stick with me as one of my oldest mate’s names! Anyways – we headed off to the ‘Megafest’ where DJ Yaron from Cape Town (aka Yaron Wiesenbacher whose family was of Brooks fabrics fame back in the day). Well folks – since my life I have not seen that many young people in Bulawayo in YEARS. Gary Ivy was running the bar (like clockwork as he always does) and the familiar faces were EVERYWHERE. Seriously – it was like going back to the days when there was beerfests at Hartsfield Rugby ground and Rob Killick used to sing ‘Strawberry lips’ to every pretty girl that walked by him – oh the memories of it all! So many faces that I have not seen in absolutely years and years and years! The likes of Adrian Garvey (you all remember him right?), Warren Wentzel (his kid is now 6 years old and starting at Whitestone in Jan – where does the time go!), Ryan King, Cathy Watson (now Clark), etc etc etc – the list was long and some of the old ‘ballies’ were as long in the tooth last night as they were back when I was 16 and going to beerfests at Hartsfield. But it was absolutely glorious to be outside, under the African sky, the stars magnificent and everyone in the highest of high spirits. And the funniest part for me – I remember being 20-something like most of them were and I remember well the need to get tatty and drink as many shooters as possible. Nowdays – mmmm – 4 drinks in 4 hours and I was still jolling like a teenager, with no hangover…although I did misread my watch and thought it was 12.30am when in fact it was actually 1.30am….needless to say, I have not seen a 2.30am bedtime since forever!
Anyways – there is no doubt that being in this tiny town at this time of the year is one of the most special and rewarding things in the world. I know of some people who never want to come back to Bulawayo…and let me tell you after the fun I had last night, why the bloody hell you wouldn’t want to is beyond me! So those of you thinking of paying a visit – put a pound/dollar/yen in the piggy bank this minute and save yo’ass off – cos Xmas 2012 will be as mega as last night…of that I have no doubt! Over and out! xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment