Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Friends, romans, countrymen...lend me your ears....

...for I have much to say!

Don't I always is probably what most of you are thinking!  Anyways - moving swiftly on!

The last few weeks have been a complete whirlwind.  I have been to Amsterdam for the new manager programme where I was able to spend time with some of my old 'employees' from Africa (who were so happy to see me - was quite special actually!) and then in Copenhagen (aka Copes!) for the new senior manager programme (where there were also loads more familiar faces).  I spent the weekend before the new senior manager programme exploring Copenhagen with Mattles.  Flip can we look back on that time and laugh (although at the time, SO not funny!)  The weather was hideous.  And there was NO way I was going to Copenhagen without seeing the Little Mermaid.  Well fan my brow.  Getting to the Little Mermaid takes a subway, a long arse walk, an inside-out umbrella and one hell of a lot of resilience!  It was raining at us.  Not on us.  AT us.  And if you did not hold onto something sturdy, like say a concrete post every 10 metres, you would be blown into the Copenhagn harbour.  Feck me - I have NEVER seen wind like that.  And when I then checked into the very cool Bella Sky hotel (google it - the latest place in Copes), I was lucky enough to end up on the 22nd floor (my lucky number is 22 and any other variation of 2!), but holy canoly - with the wind, the entire building was swaying.  A very disarming feeling!

Copenhagen also brough some exceptionally funny nocturnal activity.  No man - sies - mind out the gutter.  Not me!  We stayed in a little hotel just near the main Copes station.  Our room was so minute, that if Matt had lain on the floor across the width of the room, he would have touched.  Now those of you that know him, will realise just how small that room was!  Love you Mattles x

Anyways - we trundled off to find some dinner the first night and stumbled into the Copes version of the Red Light District.  Flip we laughed.  Everything from Erotic dancing, to the largest and most colourful sex toys I have ever seen.  All neatly lined up and displayed in shop windows.  Nothing dark and dingy about Danish sex lives clearly.  Quite refreshing actually!  So after some average thai food (we were hungry!), we went back to the matchbox room for a nights sleep.  Matt was 'taking his eyes out' and I was reading a mag when the next minute, we hear the couple next door getting jiggy with it.  But let me tell you - not jiggy.  JIGGY!!!!  There is something about hearing two people having sex that actually turns those hearing it into giggling teenagers.  Matt and I were crying with laughter...and I can tell you if we had had a glass in our room (only plastic cups!!!), Matt would have had his ear to that glass against the wall to see what else he could hear!!!!

Amsterdam had a few less schenanigans, but just as much fun.  Rosa the poodle was acquired on this trip with my darling GC (see previous post if you are wondering who on earth Rosa is!).  But no jiggy in Amsterdam!

I am all packed now again (the travelling has been awesome, but I need a holiday now!) and Africa beckons.  I fly tomorrow - yahoo!  I remember starting my countdown to departure on 43 sleeps (good old Zimbo speak!) and now I am happy to say it is 1!!!!  It has been so exciting to look forward to something so much and to think that this will be a Zim Christmas is awesome - they have been a little sporadic in the past couple of years.  A friend on Facebook put up this status this morning (thanks Leah!) and it really does capture for me the essence of why the build up to my holiday has been so exciting:

Today I leave for African soil, for the warm embrace of parents & for that feeling of being back where I belong... I'M GOING HOME

Not sure if there will be blogs or not whilst I am away.  But if there are not, no worries.  There will be NO shortage of stories on my return - of that I am certain!  Hopefully see some of you at home - Joburg for 10 days and Zim for 9. 

Big love and happy holidays to you all xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment