Sunday, March 4, 2012

Unfreaking-believable!

For the first time since I moved to the UK, I have just had to call the police...nothing serious or life threatening.  But enough to make me angry and feel completely violated.  I was sitting innnocently at my dining room table, working on my laptop and watching the world wander past my window...when lo and behold - a young teen decided that he should come up to my window, tap on it and then progress to expose himself to me.  I was, in that split second, shocked and angered.  Little F*$ker.  How dare he.  So I leapt up and shook my finger at him and shouted...the very first word out of my mouth...wait for it  - I mean really, as I sit here and type it I have a smile on my face.  I shouted to this young English teen - VOETSAK!  Seriously -that was the best I had in the heat of the moment.  If I had been fleet and nimble footed I would have chased after the little shit and given him such a beating over the head. 

Now as a person who believes sincerely in the 'Broken Window theory' - this kind of behavious incenses me.  Not only because I was violated within my own home.  But because of the broken window theory.  Now for fear of raising a political debate (which is not what this is about), I have my views on the riots that rocked London last year...and for me, the Broken window theory is a big part of that story.  And this young man's behaviour is a link in a chain for me.

For those of you not familiar with the broken window theory - take a look at this Wikipedia insert - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory - makes for some interesting reading!

Anyways - seem the little blighter had done it to the whole street.  And I have no doubt this will become funnier as the days move on.  But in that split second it takes me back to the two times in Johannesburg where I fell victim to violation - been mugged in a moving car for my cellphone and being shot at in my friends drive way. It matters not the incident - violation is violation.  And when it happens in your 'safe' places, it makes you a little jumpy...

Over and out till the next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment