Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hope is....

My friend Sash put the above as her Facebook status this week and it


really got me thinking. For me – Hope is my compass. It is what

makes me keep moving, keep putting one foot in front of the other,

keep believing in the universe to take me where I need to be. I

cannot imagine how my life would be if I did not have hope.

This week Matt T and I headed off to a debate that focussed on the

situation in Zimbabwe and how dictators come to believe in their own

infallibility (I find it ironic that dic[k] starts the word

dictator!!!). It was so interesting to listen to the various speakers

– the Archbishop of York, Dr John Sentamu from Uganda is so amusing

(try see him talk – he is compelling and fascinating). He is one of

the most upfront religious speakers I have ever heard – all under the

banner of reminding us "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil

is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke) There is no doubt that

Hope is what has carried Zimbabweans through – hope that tomorrow will

bring peace, hope that things will improve, hope that the land that we

all love will one day return to its former glory.

Dictionary.com outlines hope as ‘the feeling that what is wanted can

be had or that events will turn out for the best’ and I agree it is a

feeling...but curiously I find myself asking who determines what is

the ‘best’ referred to....mmmm – maybe our favourite despot believes

he is doing his best?

Anyways – this has been a GREAT week. I have worked like a Trojan. I

have made many new connections. I have nurtured relationships and

exceeded some people’s expectations. It is a fantastic way to end the

week. And it does a lot for my hope. Every human being needs to be

reminded that they are making a difference in the world – no matter

how big or small.

I also booked a great trip to the USA in August with my Agnes...NYC,

Washington and Boston – I am so LUCKY to be able to do these amazing

things! And Italy is looming – a definitive BIG tick for my bucket

list. I feel so blessed to have ticked off NYC and Italy...two long

standing bucket list items...in just over 6 months! London is

bringing me such amazing blessings around so many corners!

So I sit in my pjs on the couch typing this blog and thinking how much

fun tomorrow evening is going to be – it is St Paddy’s celebration

night in Wimbledon with Unsteady and Corcor...and for the first time

in my entire LIFE, I am going to be with an Irish person on St Paddy’s

– I fear for my liver!

This weekend is so welcomed and appreciated in the busyness at the

moment. I feel like dancing to the music on the radio now in my own

lounge. When you have hope in your heart, nothing can beat you. You

can be sad, you can be frustrated, you can be pretty much anything

really...but HOPE, hope is a healer that allows you to remember you

are human, you are loved, you have an amazing life, you live in a

great city, you have air to breathe, you have things to be curious

about and most of all – it makes you HOPEFUL that each new experience

will make you a better person! I think I want to become a HOPE

ambassador....anyone want to join me? Happy hopey weekend! x

2 comments: