Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Jet lag is such a bitch!

I am sitting here...figuratively watching paint dry...and wondering why the blooming heck I am awake! I bought myself a bluetooth keyboard for my Ipad when I was in NYC, so no time like the present to test it out...pretty damn cool and takes me half the time to type as it does to flipping use the touchpad!

I have been back about 36 hours now - and in some ways NYC feels like a distant dream...yet it was only yesterday! I had a great two days sightseeing once the work stuff was done and there are loads of photos to see and stories to be told on that front...but right now, I am feeling out of sorts and thought that a blog post would be as good as therapy right about now!

I have been here 4 months on Wednesday 28 September. FOUR whole months. Where has the time gone? In fact - I can tell you where it has gone. Socialising mainly. Closely followed by work. Some travel - back to Africa and to NYC. A whole lotta house hunting. A few too many hours on the telephone. A LOT of buses and trains. Plenty plus Facebook. A touch of Zimfest. 94000 loads of washing, well not quite but you get the gist! Oh and how could I forget - VISA queue at American embassy - 4 hours of my life disappeared before my very eyes - well worth it though!

But it is the times with my mates, drinking Pimms, riding mechanical bulls, having sundowners in Brick Lane and Shoreditch, Pizza Express moments, pumping up blow up mattresses in my living room, cooking in my kitchen, birthday dinners, Ascot race days, eating KFC in Wimbledone roundabouts, theatre and actually just the many many many hours on my couch chatting to friends - soul searching, laughing, tearing our very hair out at the thought of London's summer being over. These are the moments. The moments I remember. The moments that keep me going when I feel the sun in my heart go behind a momentary cloud. These are the moments that keep me sane, focussed. They are the moments that keep me from packing my case, throwing in the proverbial towel and hotfooting it back to Africa on the first skadonk plane out of Heathrow.

Never a day goes by when something funny doesn't happen and I know that I want to tell someone. Inevitably it is someone back home, like my sister who I miss awfully. But somehow the message's funniness or urgency or tone just does not translate in an email or a text or a phone call and the moment is lost. And poor old Mattles is the one who gets to hear every funny (or not so funny!) story - poor bloke! Thank my lucky stars for technology though - when you are sitting in a city like London and NYC there is no substitute. A fax just would NOT suffice somehow! And then there is Skype. I have had some great chats with my Kel on there - just need to catch some other mates on it sometime...jumbo - answer yours sometime won't you? :)

Now - I know this will sound insane to most of you - but I only have 10 more weekends in London this year. A small amount really - given that make sup less than 20% of the year! So - I have loads planned to make sure those moments keep on coming. I am hoping Tobes is coming over at some point - miss you buddy! And then there is a trip to Amsterdam with Gisela and Ginnie (love my gal pals!); a trip to Copenhagen with Mattles, lunch with the Williams family next weekend, a weekend with Justine in the Cotswolds, two different theatre trips with Vennardi, a Rhodes fundraising dinner with Pieter Dirk Uys and in between - work! I think that should just about get me to the 8th of December (Palm Tree's Bday!) when I will pack up my summer kit with a giant bottle of suncream and fly off to the Southern shores for 3 weeks of playing in Joburg and Bulawayo....watch out Africa - I am coming! Oh - and of course - 10 December 2011 is the event of the year...Shazza and Jo's nuptials - now that will be a GREAT start to my holiday!

Keep making those moments people - spend your time where it matters most to you - seriously - if your heart is singing with joy from that which you love to do things take on a new perspective....

I am reminded of my favourite quote of time by Marcel Proust...

"the real voyage of discovery comes not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes"

P.S. And of course some very important time will be spent on shouting for the SAFA's in the RWC - I gotta feelin.....

No comments:

Post a Comment