A week ago I felt like death on toast - in bed, sore throat, having been the latest recipient of the NHS's world class turnaround times. Today I am working at home, Wimbledon on mute in the background and my groceries being delivered this evening! Somehow the world looks rosier than it did a week ago and I am reminded of some wise words that Pix Forster once shared with me - "this too shall pass". I am now 1 month old...in my job that is...and the chaos seems to have passed. I am finding my feet (yes - smart one's - I know they are on the end of my legs!), slowly starting to feel like the daily fog is lifting and that maybe, just maybe, I might get to the point of understanding what on earth I am doing!
London is helping me find my groove too - I am an expert on finding trains, buses and the quickest route from A to Z...I am learning the right places to buy the right things (although I still need a flipping cheese grater and have not managed to figure out where to get one of those yet!!), I have a lovely lovely home which I am enjoying more each day and as strange as it may seem to some - I really do feel as though I have slotted into this new world quite well. However, it does come with a healthy dose of reality and a gentle reminder that a little perspective is all that it takes to turn a bad day into a good one. I know that it rains here - a lot sometimes - but it means my hayfever is more controllable. I know that it is going to get very cold here - very very cold - but I have heating, clothes, online deliveries and a working fireplace to get me through that...and of course the matter of a return to sunny climes for the month of December! I do miss my homies, my peeps, my brother from another mother, my BIL and sis - those are moments that make it difficult to find the perspective. Really difficult. But I know that their lives have gone on, as has mine, and that one day they will converge again - it is an inevitable way of life.
This last weekend I also learned an important lesson - if you leave London for a weekend, you are only assisting your perspective. It is a grand way to remember all that you are grateful for. Mattles and I spent the weekend in Stratford upon Avon (stunning part of the world) and Warwick (simply quaint) and there is no doubt that the absence of space in London makes you feel like you are living the most hectic of life. A weekend away just gives you space. Space to relax, space to be free, space to remember, space to play, space to physically be different. I think I am going to reinvent myself as a space advocate - anyone joining me? :)
On that note - I need to find a warm space on my couch to check in on the Wimbledon highlights whilst I eat some lunch - adios amigos xxxx
London is helping me find my groove too - I am an expert on finding trains, buses and the quickest route from A to Z...I am learning the right places to buy the right things (although I still need a flipping cheese grater and have not managed to figure out where to get one of those yet!!), I have a lovely lovely home which I am enjoying more each day and as strange as it may seem to some - I really do feel as though I have slotted into this new world quite well. However, it does come with a healthy dose of reality and a gentle reminder that a little perspective is all that it takes to turn a bad day into a good one. I know that it rains here - a lot sometimes - but it means my hayfever is more controllable. I know that it is going to get very cold here - very very cold - but I have heating, clothes, online deliveries and a working fireplace to get me through that...and of course the matter of a return to sunny climes for the month of December! I do miss my homies, my peeps, my brother from another mother, my BIL and sis - those are moments that make it difficult to find the perspective. Really difficult. But I know that their lives have gone on, as has mine, and that one day they will converge again - it is an inevitable way of life.
This last weekend I also learned an important lesson - if you leave London for a weekend, you are only assisting your perspective. It is a grand way to remember all that you are grateful for. Mattles and I spent the weekend in Stratford upon Avon (stunning part of the world) and Warwick (simply quaint) and there is no doubt that the absence of space in London makes you feel like you are living the most hectic of life. A weekend away just gives you space. Space to relax, space to be free, space to remember, space to play, space to physically be different. I think I am going to reinvent myself as a space advocate - anyone joining me? :)
On that note - I need to find a warm space on my couch to check in on the Wimbledon highlights whilst I eat some lunch - adios amigos xxxx
If this is good enough... It's your house warming pressie :-)
ReplyDeletehttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Kitchen-Craft-Grater-Stainless-Steel/dp/B0001IWXRE/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1309552554&sr=1-4
Love
Cisca