So - day one done - TICK! What a day - a chance to observe the chaos of catching the tube in rush hour (visions of being a sardine in a tin can are best reserved for this moment!) Thank goodness I had the luxury of time (I had had to keave my accommodation at 7am - long story!) and so I was able to allow train 1 an 2 to pass by on the District line going East to Westminster before I felt obligated to squeeze my lithe frame (NOOOOT!!!) onto the train! 5 stops goes by in the flick of 10 mins really and then I popped up right on the Westminster bridge - with Big Ben peering down my cleavage (lucky bugger - it is great cleavage today!)
But ag - you really do not hear about my ramblings on day one - quite boring really for those not in this realm of work! But there was something interesting I was able to reflect on during my short tube ride - one that left me pondering!
I watched countless women and men walk past me during my wait in the Starbucks on Gloucester Road...and I found myself asking - what in London gives an indication of your social standing? In South Africa where I come from - it is all about the house and car. Well - in London most people are sans vehicle out of choice and the council housing means you can prett much live on the doorstep of the queen and still be unemployed...so how do you show your place in the pecking order of society? My observations from this morning - I am not sure you really can...and maybe that is the realy beauty of London...you can be who you are, every minute of the day, with no fear of reprisal and all the time getting on with what you do best! Now - don't get me wrong - I am certain London comes with its prejudices and judgements...but the fact that these are not linked to your car and your home is surprisingly refreshing!
Off home in a sec to make my way through a forest full of paper...wish me luck and send the fire brigade if I do not check in tomorrow! Toodles!
But ag - you really do not hear about my ramblings on day one - quite boring really for those not in this realm of work! But there was something interesting I was able to reflect on during my short tube ride - one that left me pondering!
I watched countless women and men walk past me during my wait in the Starbucks on Gloucester Road...and I found myself asking - what in London gives an indication of your social standing? In South Africa where I come from - it is all about the house and car. Well - in London most people are sans vehicle out of choice and the council housing means you can prett much live on the doorstep of the queen and still be unemployed...so how do you show your place in the pecking order of society? My observations from this morning - I am not sure you really can...and maybe that is the realy beauty of London...you can be who you are, every minute of the day, with no fear of reprisal and all the time getting on with what you do best! Now - don't get me wrong - I am certain London comes with its prejudices and judgements...but the fact that these are not linked to your car and your home is surprisingly refreshing!
Off home in a sec to make my way through a forest full of paper...wish me luck and send the fire brigade if I do not check in tomorrow! Toodles!
No comments:
Post a Comment