Monday, June 6, 2011

Life since Thursday

Hell - it has been 5 days since I last updated this and I am wondering why that is the case!  Me thinks it has something to do with the ENORMOUS tasks of finding new friends, avoiding depression and finding a home in London - not entirely sure which is the most stressful right now...I think the house hunting tops the cake somehow!

So - last Thursday I had my first moment of "WTF-syndrome"...my mates were planning to go away for the weekend together to one of our favourite spots - Bennie's in Harties and I had NO weekend plans on the horizon.  I felt so sorry for myself.  As sorry as a Chinese lady in Amsterdam who has run out of ping pong balls (imagination needed here!)...yes really! Because I am a very self-sufficient soul who is not the best at expressing my feelings, I did not let on that misery was my middle name.  I hunkered down in the sitting room of my apartment and found solace in courgette frittatas....No blog for me that night - I would have made you all suicidal!!!

Friday came and my spirits rose a little...and then I got gazumped!  For those out there not familiar with the UK lingo, gazumped is when you lose a property that you had your eye on - either to rent or buy.  Well - I got well and truly gazumped...twice over actually...in one day (now if you replaced the word Gazumped with say, "shagged", it might have been a different story!)...alas.  So - 5pm on my first Friday in London and I have NO plans, NO friends in sight and NO home - a right darn pickle really.  And then the universe delivered, BIG TIME.  A colleague who sits next to me called in a favour with a mate of his Mary, who lives in Wimbledon (he was egging me on to look for property in Wimbledon).  So Mary trundles over and it was a "KA-BOOM" moment.  We got on a like a house on fire (she is the splitting image of Ginnifer Goodwin - http://www.inquisitr.com/93626/ginnifer-goodwin-weight-watchers/) and needless to say - she and I ended up going out on the town in Wimbledon on Friday evening...1am bedtime complete with my first Burger King ever...it was a killer evening.  Mary Corcoran from Dublin, Ireland proved to be my kindred spirit - one of those people who you know you will be friends with forever without even trying.  Welcome to the family, MTAC! (P.S.  Pammie - I told her about "Corcor" and the link to her surname - we nearly died laughing!!!)

So - things were looking up and Saturday's weather more than compensated for the hangover I had!  Matt and I spent the day soaking up the sun and the atmosphere in Covent Garden and surrounds - splendid to just hang out!  And then came Saturday night - a wonderful evening of food (Sadza, relish and stew) with my amazing and hospitable friends, Ian and Storme Dewar in their beautiful home in Ham.  We laughed and laughed and laughed and drank wonderful 18 year old Whisky and ate sadza and relish with our hands and stunning cupcakes - and at a dinner table of 16 people (Storme is an amazing host!) - there were 8 Zimbabweans and 1 South African.  You can only imagine the language and the laughter! 

By this stage, my weekend had turned out to be a cracker without even trying. And I was no longer as miserable as the Chinese lady sans ping pongs.  So on Sunday when the weather turned glum - I walked with Mattie and we went to the Natural History Museum (stunning building - exhibits are a little dated!) and the Victoria and Albert Museum (amazing building and stunning exhibits - I will go back there regularly!), had lunch in Selfridges Food Hall (Chomps - we have a date there when you come over - you will love it) and then made my way to bed early!

So - this week is about friends and celebrations again.  Tomorrow I see my wonderful friend, Anthony Davis, who is here from Holland with his mum and sister.  Tomorow night I get to be in the company of Davola and Yvonnola - parents of my best friend.  Thursday night we have a HUGE Work Summer Party at Altitude in London (http://www.altitudelondon.com/) - doesn't it look cool!  And Friday night it seems we are going to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean at Imax.  And of course, Saturday is reserved for the event I have been looking forward to for a while - the Trooping of the Colour for Queeni's birthday - hope the rain holds off!  Phew - at this rate I will have to write blogs in the middle of the night!

Sending love and light to you all - summer is moving in here and it is still light out at 21.22pm - yay!  Braai at my new home (as soon as I have one!) xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment