Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Happy Birthday to you my lovely! x

Today (well not quite yet in NYC, but already in South Africa!) is my sisters birthday.  32 wonderful years of being my sister.  And there is nothing in the world I wish more than a happy happy birthday to her.  I have no doubt that there will be fun moments tomorrow, calls from all sorts of people, laughter, cake and kicks from Junior.  What a special birthday - this time next year you will be able to get kisses from your lovely little button as a birthday pressie - what an amazing blessing!

So in honour of the 32 years I have spent (mostly) loving my sister (all siblings have their 'off' years now peeps - no judgment allowed!!), I thought I would capture 32 things that make me think of my sister...in no particular order...literally a free flow from my head to the keyboard...

I love you sister - wish I was there to give you a great big birthday hug and treat you to cake! xxx

32 things you want (have) in a sister (thanks Alanis Morrisette for the inspiration)...

1 - an instant friend who loves to do the randomest of things with you...my sister loves to go shopping...in my cupboard!!!  Happy times for us both!
2 - there is always someone by your side - keeping you company - I love that x
3 - my sister was the sweetest little kid - butter would not melt in her both - she charmed her way through free sweets from George Pavli at Greenvale for most of our junior years!
4 - she was SO easy to trick...she knows what story I would LOVE to write here...but I will save the embarrassment...but Carls for you - strawberries... :)
5 - having a sister who is pretty and popular with the boys (and you are the sister with the licence) leads to all sorts of exchanges taking place for drives to Falcon College...
6 - I have such a happy memory of Carls and I in our pjs and dressing gowns, with Gran and Gramps and Mom, heading off to the nativity scene at the Centenary Park every Christmas eve...instant joy in my heart
7 - her free spirited nature...which has become more chilled and laid-back as she has aged...somedays I wish I could have inherited this trait!
8 - she is the consummate host - nothing is too much of a problem, no people too many, no children to niggly to be fed..she loves to have people in her home and people love being in her home with her
9 - she loved my gramps so deeply...from the bottom of her heart..and she had him wrapped around her little finger...wrapped...!
10 - she is going to bring my first niece/nephew into the world...I am beside myself with excitement...just over the moon excited!
11 - my sis is a home bunny...loves being home...would like to be home all her days...permanently...pottering and sorting out her house and her life - such amazing peace
12 - I love her preggers tummy - so cute!
13 - She is patient with my mom in a way that I never have been and try so desperately to be....patience is not my strong suit!
14 - Her and I have the best BBM conversations...long, rambling, over a period of time, sometimes not following one another, sending random pics in between...sometimes I find myself thinking she is actually sitting next to me having the conversation not on text!
15 - I love that she knows that her driving makes me want to crawl under the seat and never look up...and when she is finished teasing, she will genuinely slow down!
16 - That my first experience of London was with her on her 21st birthday as her present to me - looking back now I have no idea how she afforded it!
17 - That she is feisty when she fights...she is like a dog with a bone...if she has a point to make she will rant on and on and on until you are worn down!
18 - That she still has her pink doll from my Gramps in the original packaging complete with the winder still working so that music plays from the doll...very dear!
19 - That she is found such a great husband for her...two people so well suited for one another and who compliment each other so well...and I have a decent B.I.L. too - hallelujah!
20 - On her 21st birthday she bought her housemate a packet of frozen peas to help with his headache...I kid you not!
21 - That when she makes me laugh, like really really laugh, I being to wheeze...there is no sound exciting my lips save for wheezing...I love laughing like that..
22 - She is able to sleep anywhere...literally...upright, sideways, on someone's lap, anywhere...lucky fish!
23 - My favourite gesture of my sisters...nothing rude...is when (and I find myself smiling out loud just typing this)...she needs to turn the page of a book or newspaper or magazine...and to do so...she licks her thumb (just like my gran and gramps did) and then flicks the page...it makes me smile every single time I see it and one day I need to get it on video...in the meantime, I put a photo of it here from the last time we were together in London in May 2012...



24 - I love that she and I love the same things about children - their innocence, their fun quirks, their sense of adventure...
25 - Sumo wrestling with her in the swimming pool is SUCH fun!
26 - That she stills gets belligerent when she has had a few too many drinks and for some reason decides to disappear off somewhere random...although the last time was not so much fun!!
27 - She is a loyal and caring friend to so many - friends far and wide
28 - She and I both love the song 'Ruby, Ruby, Ruby'...I have no idea if that is what the name of the song is...by the Kaizer chiefs...think so!
29 - She eats avocado like it is going out of fashion...seriously - it is not humanly possible to eat that much ago in one lifetime...surely!
30 - When she is tired...beware...move out of the way...feed instantly and put to bed...do not take your life in your hands by trying anything different...
31 - She loves gimmicks...shampoo to make your hair grow thicker, dieticians who 'hoover' your cellulite..and she is more esoteric that I will ever be - after all she got me to believe in the parking fairy and the travel fairy - bless you x
32 - I love you my sister - more than you will ever be able to comprehend in this lifetime...

HAPPY HAPPY Birthday!



3 comments:

  1. 33 - having you as a sister has helped her to thrive.

    What a special birthday tribute, Gins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice update - Happy birthday Carls. Love the list - and hope for the same for my two girls as sisters!

    ReplyDelete